Retired in 2003 as Head of the British Council Libraries in India, with responsibility to manage the largest and most successful library network of the Council in the world. Between 1972 and 2003, had worked in various capacities in the British Council, including as the founder-librarian of its library in Hyderabad. Prior to this, was the Chief Librarian of the prestigious management institute XLRI, Jamshedpur. After retirement in 2003, has been engaged in consultancy and advisory work with various institutions.
Present engagements include the following:
Library Advisor (Hon), Thunchath Ezhuthachan Malayalam University, Kerala
Member, Advisory Board, National Library, Kolkata, Ministry of Culture, Government of India
Member, Raja Rammohun Roy Library Foundation, Ministry of Culture, Government of India
Chairman, Advisory Board, Indian public Library Movement, NASSCOM Foundation, Delhi
Member, Advisory Board, READ INDIA (an International NGO)
Member, Library Advisory Committee, Central University of Kerala, Kasarkode
Member, Editorial Board, Informatics Studies: An International Journal
- Was Vice Chairman, Delhi Library Board (2008-2014)
- Wrote the Strategy for Implementing the Recommendations of the National Knowledge Commission on Libraries, at the request of the Ministry of Culture.
- Participated in many international and national seminars and conferences, and have published several articles in professional journals.
- Visited several countries: UK (several times), Portugal, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Chile, Italy, Turkey, Australia, Nigeria, Tanzania, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bangladesh and the UAE.
- Was conferred MBE ( Member of the British Empire) by Her Majesty, the Queen of England in 2001.
- Was Research Assistant to (late) Dr S R Ranaganathan, National Research Professor in Library Science, from 1969 to 1972.
- Did graduation and B Lib Sc from Kerala University and postgraduation from Documentation Research and Training Centre (DRTC), Bangalore.